“Get rid of all bitterness, rage, anger, harsh words, and slander, as well as all types of evil behaviour. Instead, be kind to each other, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, just as God through Christ has forgiven you.” Ephesians 4: 31-32
1. Recognize Your Bitterness
onesty with yourself & with the Lord is the best policy. Until we acknowledge our condition honestly we will never know healing & true freedom.
2. Realize that it is your problem
“Bitter people often make excuses for their bitterness by blaming God and others. Instead of accepting responsibility for their sin, they attempt to justify their resentment by shifting the blame. They often emphasize the faults of others and rationalize their feelings of offence in order to minimize their guilt, justify their bitterness, and defend their unwillingness to deal with the problem.”.
3. Repent of Your Sin
• The only thing that will get rid of bitterness is to recognize it as sin and confess it as your sin before God.
4. Refuse to Retaliate1 Peter 2:23 ”When they hurled their insults at Him, He did not retaliate; when He suffered, He made no threats. Instead, He entrusted Himself to Him who judges justly.”
5. Release Forgiveness & Grace
Colossians 3:13 “Make allowance for each other’s faults, and forgive anyone who offends you. Remember, the Lord forgave you, so you must forgive others.”
• The choice you make to forgive is based on the fact that God forgave you of your sins through Jesus Christ. We are to forgive because we ourselves are forgiven.